Podcast 7

Hello and Welcome to the sixth podcast, and final show of Season 1, of Hunting the Real Jaws.

This podcast seeks to solve one of the oldest biological mysteries of the Jersey Shore. The shark attacks of 1916.

I am your host, biologist and environmental journalist, Bob Heyer.

So, as we come to the end of the first season of the Hunting the Real Jaws, we have seen three attacks in just over a week.

Here is what the evidence shows so far:

All three of the first attacks were to the lower extremities of the victims.

Flesh was removed in all three attacks.

Two of the attacks reported the shark to be tenacious and reluctant to stop the attack. This is very characteristic of Bull Sharks.

We know the shark was large about 9’ long.

It was dark, reported to have been black by witnesses at Beach Haven.

According to the Belmar Coast Advertiser July 14, 1916, the consensus at the time, was that a “Man-Eater” was responsible for the attack.

In even named it as Carcharodon rondeletii and called it a White Shark.

 Another article from the time reported was that victim number three, Charles Burder’s body was taken to James Sexton undertakers in Asbury Park.

The funeral service was at St. Andrews in Spring Lake and he was interred at Atlantic View Cemetery in Manasquan.

The same article said the Great White attains a length of 40’, was not responsible but, was likely a Hammer-Head. No evidence was given for this hypothesis. And we know that Great Whites are lucky to reach half that size.

Following the Spring Late Attack on July 7th– A large (12’) shark was spotted just beyond the lifelines at Asbury Park.

July 7th– Colonel Schaeffler of Governor Fielder’s staff organized a motor boat patrol of the shore with the hopes of driving away sharks. The patrol will be made up of experienced fisherman.

Week of July 12, 1916- 14 sharks, each about 100 lbs. were caught off of Sea Bright. A large “man-eater” shark was caught and killed in Belford, not far from Matawan Creek

July 9- Asbury Park lifeguard Benjamin Evenrnham, encountered a shark while patrolling the Asbury Ave. bathing grounds. Witnesses watched from the Casino Pier as Evernham attacked the shark with an oar.

July 10-At 8:30 PM, a 7’ Blue-nosed (Bull)  shark was found near dead in the surf in the surf at Monmouth Beach. It had two large gashes in its side. It was found rolling in the surf by Jean Mount. With help the shark was roped and dragged to shore. It struggled with the men as they attempted to rope it. It was said to weigh several hundred pounds with a mouth that was 8 or 9 inches wide. It was believed to be the shark attacked by the lifeguard in Asbury the night before.

And so, ends Season 1 of Hunting the Real Jaws. Thank you so much for listening.

Hope to see you in Season 2! Don’t forget to check us out at http://www.njsaf.com

And check out my book Shark Attacks on the Jersey Shore: a History on Arcadia History Press.

Until next season! This is Bob Heyer saying Stay safe on the shore!